This is the Law Society’s pinnacle award for the most outstanding Law Society committee member. This member is judged on excellence in their field, as well as their contribution to the Law Society through their committee work, and their demonstration of the highest professional, ethical, and community service standards.
2022 Winner: Mark Swan, Special Counsel at Mills Oakley
The Executive Committee of the Law Society Council recognises that, while there are many members who produce outstanding work on a daily basis, Mark Swan’s long-standing service to the Law Society and to the profession is exceptional.
Mark is an Accredited Specialist in property law, with over 25 years’ experience in this area. He enjoys the challenge of helping his clients develop innovative, effective and efficient solutions to highly complex property issues. His practice interests are focused on private and government transactional, leasing and development work, particularly multi-use subdivisions and strata titles. He is also a Public Notary in NSW.
Mark has been a member of the Law Society of NSW’s property law committee since 2006. He has also served as the NSW representative of the Law Council of Australia’s Electronic Conveyancing Working Group, providing stakeholder input to the national Registrars-General to facilitate development of the national framework for eConveyancing.
Some recent projects Mark has worked on include the site acquisition for Winten Property Group’s North Sydney development to house Channel 9’s new headquarters; and the disposal of Sydney’s landmark Washington H. Soul Pattinson building in Pitt Street Mall, including leaseback arrangements and securing heritage floor space.
“Mark’s participation, contribution, expertise, mentoring, philanthropy and willingness to share his knowledge and experience demonstrate his humble commitment to serving in a professional and ethical capacity, benefiting not only his immediate circle of practice, but also our emerging leaders, and the clients we serve,” the judges commented.
“Mark’s contribution has improved access to justice within NSW. His leadership, innovation and dedication are the values that we celebrate as being those of a ‘good lawyer’ and that have impact on those he collaborates with and those coming after him.”
The Law Society of New South Wales, President and Council congratulate Mark Swan on this achievement.
- Danny King, Principal, Danny King Legal
- Glenn Thompson, Partner, Newhams Solicitors
2022 Award Recipients
- Wellbeing Champion of the Year Award
- Law Society Mentor of the Year Award
- Law Society Mentee of the Year Award
- The John Hennessy Legal Scholarship
- The Michelle Crowther PSM Excellence Award
- The Excellence in In-house Corporate Practice Award
- The Pro Bono Service Award
- The Legal Academic of the Year Award
- The Accredited Specialist of the Year Award
- The Rural or Regional Practitioner of the year Award
- The Law Student of the Year Award
- The Early Career Lawyer of the Year Award
- The Law Society of NSW Member of the Year Award
- The Law Society of NSW President’s Medal