The Law Society’s Specialist Accreditation program is designed to recognise those who ascend to expert specialisation in their field of practice. This award celebrates the best of the best, with the individual displaying excellence in their specialist field or fields and a commitment to pro bono service, and playing an active leadership role in their broader community.
2022 Winner: James Horsburgh (Family and Criminal Law), Director, McIntosh McPhillamy & Co
Accredited Specialist James Horsburgh has been recognised for his extensive contribution and commitment to providing legal services to vulnerable people in the Bathurst region.
His dedication and excellence through various and worthy community efforts reflect the qualities the Specialist Accreditation Scheme is proud to inspire.
Not only is he an accomplished solicitor with over 15 years of experience in family law and criminal law, but Horsburgh is also a vital element in his community, being actively involved on the Board of Directors of St Stanislaus College, and as a Board member of Cayenne Support Ltd. Horsburgh is also Vice President of Central West Rugby and on the Committee of Bathurst Bulldogs Rugby Club.
This year’s award winner has over 15 years of experience in dealing with family law matters, from children’s care and protection to adoption.
“I love that as a lawyer, you get to help people day in, day out, typically when they are experiencing their own tough times in life.
“I didn’t think I would enjoy being a lawyer as much as I do. I would do it for free. You meet a variety of interesting people.”
In 2020 Horsburgh was featured in LSJ’s podcast Just Chat, where he gave a first-hand account both of the accident that left him quadriplegic, and of his success as a lawyer, father and community leader.
The Law Society of New South Wales, President and Council congratulate James Horsburgh on this achievement.
- Amanda Comelli (Business Law), Partner, Brown Wright Stein
- Luisa Gaetani (Family Law), Partner, Coutts Lawyers & Conveyancers
2022 Award Recipients
- Wellbeing Champion of the Year Award
- Law Society Mentor of the Year Award
- Law Society Mentee of the Year Award
- The John Hennessy Legal Scholarship
- The Michelle Crowther PSM Excellence Award
- The Excellence in In-house Corporate Practice Award
- The Pro Bono Service Award
- The Legal Academic of the Year Award
- The Accredited Specialist of the Year Award
- The Rural and Regional Practitioner of the year Award
- The Law Student of the Year Award
- The Early Career Lawyer of the Year Award
- The Law Society of NSW Member of the Year Award
- The Law Society of NSW President’s Medal