By -

Licence to practice – corporate legal practitioner

Q. I am a solicitor working in-house for a corporation. I hold a corporate practising certificate. I have been asked by a close family friend to draft his will. Am I permitted to do that?

A. No. Your corporate practising certificate licenses you to engage in legal practice only in the capacity of an in-house lawyer for your employer or a related entity. It does not entitle you to engage in private practice such as advising family and friends. Further, a corporate practitioner would not hold professional indemnity insurance covering private practice.

You've reached the end of this article preview

There's more to read! Subscribe to LSJ today to access the rest of our updates, articles and multimedia content.

Subscribe to LSJ

Already an LSJ subscriber or Law Society member? Sign in to read the rest of the article.

Sign in to read more