- Understanding trans-generational trauma in Aboriginal communities
- NSW CTP insurance scheme reform
- NSW Parliamentary Inquiry into Child Protection
- Review of the ICAC Inspector’s Report to the Premier
- Inquiry into the sexualisation of children and young people
- Law Enforcement (Powers and Responsibilities) Regulation
- Royal Commission into juvenile detention in the Northern Territory
- Statutory review of the Victims Rights and Support Act 2013
- Voluntary Assisted Dying Bill 2016
- Productivity Commission inquiry into data availability and use
Understanding trans-generational trauma in Aboriginal communities
The NSW Bar Association hosted a seminar on 4 August 2016 to discuss the effects of grief and loss passed down through generations of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families as a result of traumatic experiences. This was a joint initiative of the Law Society of NSW Indigenous Issues Committee, the NSW Judicial Commission Ngara Yura Committee and the NSW Bar Association Indigenous Barristers’ Strategy Working Party.
The three speakers, Dr Robyn Shields, Magistrate Sue Duncombe and Mr Brian Dowd, discussed what trans-generational trauma is and how its impacts can be addressed.