- Review of the Data Sharing (Government Sector) Act 2015
- Statutory review of the NSW Strata Schemes Laws
- Response to ALRC Report 135 ‘Family Law for the Future – an Inquiry into the Family Law System’
- Education Legislation Amendment (Parental Rights) Bill 2020
- Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety Final Report
- Review of qualifications of arbitrators in family law proceedings
- Interim report – Indigenous Voice to Parliament
Review of the Data Sharing (Government Sector) Act 2015
The Privacy and Data Law Committee contributed to a submission to the Department of Customer Service as part of the five-year statutory review of the Data Sharing (Government Sector) Act 2015 (‘the Act’).
The submission focused on suggestions to ensure that the Act (and any government-led data sharing/data analytics activities) enhances the digital trust of citizens, by implementing transparency requirements, enhanced safeguards, and the adoption of good data sharing practices within and between government agencies.
The submission made various suggestions, including that consideration be given to:
- amending the Act to control the effects of data analytics outcomes on an individual/cohort, and to ensure that inferences made about an individual are fair and reasonable;
- implementing enhanced data sharing protections and principles, and privacy protections and safeguards;
- enhancing NSW data linkage capabilities/outputs, including by establishing a right to call-in data and developing an expanded authorisation framework (subject to technical and operational controls and safeguards being appropriately articulated);
- requiring that consent either be obtained, or that more stringent requirements be provided for the sharing of sensitive data and data relating to children.
Statutory review of the NSW Strata Schemes Laws
The Property Law and Environmental, Planning and Development Committees contributed to a submission to the Department of Customer Service, responding to the Discussion Paper issued for the statutory review of the Strata Schemes Management Act 2015 (‘SSMA’) and the Strata Schemes Development Act 2015 (‘SSDA’).