By -


  • The old adage that ‘possession is 9/10ths of the law’ is borne out by some recent cases of lodgers refusing to budge.
  • The owner can apply to NCAT for an order for termination of a ‘residential tenancy agreement’, which may be met with a life tenancy claim and lodgement of a caveat on title.
  • Otherwise, or following that, application must be made to the Equity Division of the Supreme Court for a declaration of the termination of some form of life (or lesser) interest and a writ of possession.

There have been a number of recent decisions about people who have come upon hard times, a friend or relative has given them shelter, and then, after a while when they should be back on their feet, they just won’t leave. What is the homeowner to do? This article examines some key hurdles you might encounter in such a case. 

You've reached the end of this article preview

There's more to read! Subscribe to LSJ today to access the rest of our updates, articles and multimedia content.

Subscribe to LSJ

Already an LSJ subscriber or Law Society member? Sign in to read the rest of the article.

Sign in to read more