We’ve all been at networking events going through the typical “So, what do you do?” to break the awkward silence. To best build rapport quickly, the key is to ask open-ended questions allowing others to go with non-work-related answers if they choose. Doing this will ensure you not only turn a stranger into a new business contact, but also
a new friend. Try these!
- What excites you right now?
- What are you looking forward to?
- What’s the best thing that’s happened to you this year?
- What’s the most important thing I should know about you?
- What is one of your defining moments?
- Why did you choose your profession?
- What are you currently reading?
- How can I be most helpful to you right now?
- What do you do for fun?
- Is there a charitable cause you support?